Connect with us

Breaking News

The MDC’s Harvest House Ransacked for Machetes and Subversive Materials

zwnews24 Editor

Published

on

The Zimbabwe Republic Police (ZRP) yesterday ransacked Harvest House, the MDC’s headquarters in search of machetes and other subversive materials.

A search warranty which was used for the operation showed that there was reasonable grounds for believing that there were machetes and subversive materials that could be used for criminal purposes especially the commission of public violence.

Machetes have become topical in Zimbabwe following sad stories of how they have been used by some ruthless groups of people called the Mashurugwis especially in areas where there is rampant illegal gold mining.

David Coltart, the MDC Treasure General said that the police had found nothing following their search at the MDC headquarters and described the search as a pathetic action by the Mnangagwa regime.

“Utterly pathetic action by the Mnangagwa regime today raiding the #MDC HQ searching for machetes. If they genuinely want to find any they should go to the citadel of violence – the #ZANU PF HQ just down the road. Of course they found nothing.” He wrote on Twitter.

An MDC official, Chalton Hwende was recently sucked in the machetes scandal, an allegation which he referred to as madness.

On the 13th of January this year, Justice Mayor Wadyajena, the Member of Parliament for the Gokwe Nembudiya constituency said on Twitter that it’s been widely reported that Hwende is among the politicians that are benefitting from the Mashurugwi gang and criminal activities through his Chegutu and Namibia connections.

Responding to these allegations, Hwende said “this madness by Zanu PF must end, they always look for people to arrest for no apparent reason”.

The search for machetes and subversive material at the MDC headquarters comes after Chamisa defiantly promised to go ahead with his State of the Nation Address on 21 January following a police ban of a similar event which was supposed to be held at Mbuya Musodzi Hall in Mbare, Harare earlier this week.

“ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. We’ve exhausted all channels. We can’t continue to be victims of unjust application of the law. Rights are for all. On Tuesday 21st Jan we will deliver the people’s Agenda 2020 to the nation come what may.” Chamisa said

In his reaction to the search of his party’s headquarters by the police, Nelson Chamisa, the leader of the MDC said that freedom is coming.

On Facebook, he wrote “Just been informed that 7 trucks with over 400 armed riot police details have besieged MDC party HQ to search for weapons of war. They are searching all offices and corridors. They will find nothing except the resolve for change. You cannot stop the winds of change whose time has come. Our only weapon is the weapon of love, the love of our country. Freedom is coming! #makechangehappen”

The MDC led by Nelson Chamisa is the main contender to the rule of Zimbabwe by Zanu Pf which is led by Emmerson Munangwa who took over from Mugabe.

Chamisa claims that he emerged the winner after the elections which were held following the demise of Mugabe and yet according to the Zimbabwe Electoral Commission, the institution mandated with overseeing elections in Zimbabwe, Emmerson Mnangagwa was the winner.

A prominent Zimbabwe politician, Professor Jonathan Moyo who once belonged to the Zanu PF party before his fallout with the current Zanu Pf leadership, have through his EXCELGATE book released some damaging information against Mnangagwa which seeks to prove that he lost the elections to Chamisa.

Zimbabwe’s economic situation is very dire with most people failing to access the basics of life since inflation and unemployment is continually on the rise but the country’s president has always been re-assuring his citizens that the country will come back on its feet.

While attending the Global Business Forum in Dubai last year, Mnangagwa promised to continue working and sharing Zimbabwe’s potential with entrepreneurs and investors.

“In Dubai, sharing our story and incredible potential with entrepreneurs and investors, particularly in the crucial sectors of fuel and power. I will continue to toil both at home and abroad to put Zimbabwe back on its feet!” he wrote on Twitter on 18 November 2019.

Breaking News

Greyhound Bus Company Shuts Operations After 37 Years of Service

Brian Kazungu

Published

on

Brian Kazungu, 03/02/2021

The economic environment is looking bleak especially for many businesses because of the Covid-19 induced difficult operating environment.

The latest notable casualty is South Africa’s luxury bus company Greyhound which announced that it will be shutting down its operations and that for Citiliner after having operated in South Africa for 37 years.

In its announcement, Greyhound did not give the reasons for its complete shutdown but it highlighted that people who were scheduled to travel after the 14th of February will have to get refunded.

Many business across the world have been negatively affected by the lockdowns which are meant to contain the spread of the Corona virus.

Recently, Ster-Kinekor Theatres in South Africa were forced to take the voluntary business rescue option because of the Covid-19 pandemic in order to rehabilitate the once profitable business whose cash generation has been negatively affected by lockdown measures meant to contain the spread of the virus.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Breaking News: Gmail, the global email giant is temporarily down

Brian Kazungu

Published

on

Breaking News: Gmail, the global email giant is temporarily down

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Prophet Shepherd Bushiri Escapes South Africa, Promises To Offer a Global Press Conference in Malawi

Brian Kazungu

Published

on

Prophet Shepherd Bushiri who was recently arrested in South Africa together with his wife and other members of his church has escapes the country to Malawi where he has promised to offer a press briefing which shall be aired on all media networks across the world.

In a press statement that has been posted on his Facebook page, he said that his escape to Malawi is not a sign of running away and he has called for a guarantee to fair trial by the South African authorities asked that investigating officers in his case be recused since he once lodged a complaint against them.

The Bushiris’ trip to Malawi is against their bail conditions which limits their travels to Gauteng and North West provinces only.

Thousands of his followers have comment on his Press Statement wishing him well.

Read the full Press Statement below:

PROPHET BUSHIRI’S STATEMENT ON HIS ARRIVAL IN MALAWI

I would like to inform the general public that my wife, Mary, and I are temporarily in our home country, Malawi, because of safety and security issues since 2015, matters that got worse when we just got out on bail.

There have been clear and evident attempts to have myself, my wife and my family killed and despite our several attempts to report to authorities, there has never been State protection.

Our coming to Malawi, hence, is a tactical withdrawal from the Republic of South Africa solely meant to preserve our lives. 

These attempts have been heightened with recent spates of arrests and detentions that we felt the only way for us to clear our names before the law is to ensure that our lives are preserved. My wife and I strongly believe in our innocence but this cannot be proved if our lives are not preserved. We have to be alive to testify to our innocence.

As we stand here, we were arrested in 2019 on allegedly money laundering charges and it’s getting to three years now without trial because the State is not ready to give it.

As we keep waiting for that trial to come, we were arrested again, kept in custody for over two weeks and we are not sure if we will face trial. Equally shocking is the fact that as we kept waiting to get the facts of the recent arrest, the State brought up immigration issues that they, not us, owe the public an explanation. But they want us to explain.

Against this background, we have come to a painful conclusion that what my wife and I have faced in the Republic of South Africa, since 2015, is purely persecution NOT prosecution.

What is shocking is that it was me who, in 2018, opened cases of extortion and intimidation against the officers who are, today, investigating, arresting and prosecuting me and my wife of these several allegations.

Obviously, there can never be independence and impartiality. It’s purely acts of open vengeance. This, I must say, clearly violates rules of natural justice which says justice must not just be done but be seen to be done.

As such, I want to make it clear, here, that our coming to Malawi is not an act of running away from being tried. Not at all.

All my wife and I want is to clear our names in a justice system that is fair, impartial and just. In this vein, I am calling for three things to be met by the Republic of South African authorities to ensure our fair, impartial and just trial.  

1. First, I want the South African government to assure us of our safety and security whilst in South Africa.

2. Secondly, I want the South African government to assure us that our bail will not be revoked. Our right to fair trial entails that we have access to our lawyers all the time. Revocation of the bail defeats our right to fair trial and also exposes us to further security and safety challenges.

3. Thirdly, I want the officers involved in investigating, arresting and prosecuting us to recuse themselves. As earlier said, this is the same team that I earlier lodged complaint against and, also, opened cases against. I won’t have a fair trial with their continued involvement.

4. Fourthly, I want the South African State to see to it that all the issues I lodged and opened against these officers must be pursued to their logical conclusion before proceeding with our case.

5. Finally, I want the South African State to appoint independent and professional investigators and prosecutors who should make independent decisions on the cases we are allegedly accused of.

In this regard, I am requesting Malawi government to liaise with the South African government to ensure that the above issues are met.

Once these three issues are met and I am assured of a fair, just and impartial trial, I am willing to avail myself before the South Africa justice system.

I am looking forward to that day because my wife and I have long waited for it to prove our innocence and clear our names.

I will hold a press briefing in Lilongwe, Malawi, and it will be aired on all media networks across the world soon.

Continue Reading

Trending